Swishing Through the Fallen Leaves

     Hey, hi, how yah doin'? Are you enjoying the shift in the year? Over in my neck of the woods we're having that classic prairie shift of leaves going from green, to yellow, and then immediately to the ground. The weather is warm and I just bought a new used car. So things are happening over in this rat's world. On top of all that, Mordheim is back in swing within my local scene. Our Fall narrative campaign has kicked off and is barrelling towards Week 02.

    It is truly astonishing to see how my local hobby scene has developed over the past twelve months. From 8 people playing Mordheim in Fall 2023, to 36 people signing up for Fall 2024. Mind-blowing. It thrills me to see this growth and how our community has not lost its supportive nature. But all this is to say that I have done very little hobbying myself. Know what, that is ok.

    I honestly haven't worked on a warband or a personal project in months now. With all the prep needed for Dungeon Fest, transitioning into a new job, prepping & running the Fall Campaign, and now a new car that will be my "hobby project" for the next little bit, I got very little time for minis. And I am fine with that. For me, the minis were the conduit that led me to where I am now. They were a tool that helped me find and grow a community. They were the lubricant that allowed many parts of m to flow freely again. This is not to say that I am done with hobbying. I just think it may be a back-burner item at this time. 

    I still and continue to love being a part of this community. I still relish putting together and coordinating events. I still love exploring other facets of this world through means that are not just little toy soldiers (shout-out to Caffeinated Minis, as we are slowly putting together the first episodes of a new hobby podcast we're doing.) And I continue to drown myself in all the amazing work peeps in my scene and beyond are doing (shout-out to Matthew for his amazing kitbash Mordheim warband and Trent for his wild video output rn).

    So what will bring me back to the table? No idea right now. But my best guess is the skeletons I recently got (for Regiments) and the warmaster Skaven (that I will eventually buy STLs for and have someone else print even though I own two printers). I want to lean more into Fantasy and especially the older feeling stuff. I feel reading through Hollow contributed to this. Amazing book. Simultaneous story lines and weird adventures. Loved it. If you're looking for a book for the season, cannot recommend it enough.

    Until I get into the hobby flow again, I'll keep looking at Rock Auto for what I need to buy for my '03 Element, watching youtube videos on how to do repairs (it honestly is just another take on the hobby. Really, I am kitbashing my car), continue binging through Dragonball Z (at the Frieza Saga, they just did their first transformation), and spending quality time with those I love & care for.

    I hope you are doing well. Take time to kiss a dog, feed a hungry bee some sugar water, and genuflect to a cat. Dog bless.



Comments

  1. It's alright to take a break. Especially after all the effort you put in. Nothing better than doing something for yourself after putting your own time on hold!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment